St John’s is a flourishing community and the parents’ association, the SJPA, is a key contributor to this. The committee is comprised of a group of parent volunteers – both men and women – who meet termly to organise events and to allocate funds to school projects. Each member is able to remain on the committee for a maximum of four years and they attempt to ensure a broad representation of parent from across the school. New members are always welcome.
The SJPA hosts a variety of events for parents throughout the year. Highlights include the not-be-to-missed Christmas Market and a fabulous Christmas Ball. The winter blues are banished at the Curry & Quiz Night and the Summer Social is a relaxed and fun way to bring the year to an end in the company of fellow parents. Tickets sell out fast so please ensure you book early. They also run the second hand uniform shop that opens regularly throughout the term.
All the money raised by the SJPA is used to fund school initiatives and support two charities each year, which are voted for by the parent body. The funds raised from the Christmas Market, Christmas Ball and Silent Auction support the charities. In 2022/23 the two charities the SJPA have been supporting are The Eikon Charity and The Grange Centre, with £10,500 going to each charity.
Each year, in May, departments across school present proposals to the SJPA Committee outlining what they would like funds for, be that on the sports field, in the classroom or around the school buildings. . Projects that receive funding seek to benefit as wide and diverse a group of pupils as possible across the School. Recent examples have included:
- Large LED Outdoor Display Screen – £10,000
- Virtual Reality headsets – £6,486
- Radio Club recording equipment – £550
- Water Polo goals – £3,073
- Community Holiday – £2,000
- Community Transport for local primary schools (ongoing) – £1,550
- Forensics Club equipment – £550
- Sound system, projector and screen for the Dining Hall – £11,000
- A new Sound System for the Dining Hall – £9,000
- Computer Science equipment – £450
- Refurbish the Cricket Pavilion – £7,500
- Spin bikes and instructor training – £5,000
- Books to help pupils consider choice of career – £300
- French Theatre Workshop and drama accessories – £500
- Costume storage facility for the Drama Department – £250
- Electronic microscopes for biology labs – £2,967
- Screen printing facility for the Art Department – £3,500
We really hope you will enjoy participating in the SJPA events and being part of the St John’s School community.
To volunteer or find out more about the SJPA please contact:
Clare O’Hanlon (Chair) via firstname.lastname@example.org
Each year the SJPA host a range of fabulous events, including:
- Christmas Market – Saturday 18 November 2023
- Christmas Ball – Saturday 2 December 2023
- Quiz Night – Saturday 9 March 2024
- ‘Quad Fest’ Summer Event – Saturday 8 June 2024
The St John’s Parents’ Association is a welcoming and friendly group of volunteers, involved in enriching your wonderful experience as a St John’s School family.
If you would like to get involved with the association we would love to hear from you – please email email@example.com