The Spring Term is always a busy one, and especially so for our Sports Department! The term saw 688 pupils represent St John’s in 524 fixtures across football, netball, hockey, rugby sevens, climbing, shooting, swimming, water polo, cross country, and badminton.
Teams have shown passion, commitment, and energy and with the support of our highly skilled and experienced coaches, and we are proud to have celebrated a huge amount of success.
- Our U12s football team have reached the semi-final of the Surrey County Cup, beating Whitgift School 5-0 in the quarter finals which is an outstanding achievement. We look forward to the semi-final, which is due to be played in May.
- The U13 were quarter finalists in the ISFA National Cup.
- Our U14A and U16A teams were runners up and 2nd XI League Champions.
- Our U16A girls’ hockey team made it to the semi-finals of the England Hockey Tier 1 National Cup, losing to Millfield on penalties. This is a huge achievement and the best finish for a St John’s hockey team to date. The team defeated great competitors including Wellington College, Epsom College, Brighton College, and Queen’s School Chester during the knock-out competition.
- The U14A girls’ hockey team were crowned England Hockey Tier 2 National champions for the second year in a row!
- Our U13A and U15A girls’ hockey teams made it to the quarter finals of Independent Schools Hockey Cup (ISHC)
- The 1st XI girl’s hockey team won the Independent Schools Hockey Competition Plate, and they finished sixth in the England Hockey Tier 1 South League
- The U12’s were National School’s Cup Runners Up, after narrowly missing out on the gold against Wirral Girls. Until the national final, the U12’s were undefeated with 17/17 victories against strong local rivals including: Epsom College, Hurstpierpoint, Cranleigh, Reigate Grammar and Surbiton High.
- Our U14 and U16’s qualified for Surrey finals and then finished third in their group on finals day.
- The 1st VII made it to the Independent Schools Plate quarter finals.
- The 1st VII reached the final 64 elimination game at Rosslyn Park Sevens, narrowly missing out on qualifying for day two by just two points.
- Our U14 celebrated becoming the Surrey Cup winners. Winning the tournament against many strong schools is an incredible feat, but doing so without conceding a single point in the knockouts was even more of a huge achievement.
- The U15 Rugby 7s side won the Merchant Taylors Sevens Invitational Cup competition, in nail biting fashion.
- Our U12 were the Surrey Cup Winners of their waterfall tournament.
- At the Bath Cup, the girls team achieved Silver in the 4×50 R L Stead National Medley Final and the Fred Parkes Cup. The boys also qualified for the Dunelm Cup Final.
Over the Easter break, our netball and cricket teams have enjoyed fantastic tours in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. We look forward to the Summer Term ahead and celebrating further sporting achievements.