St John’s is a flourishing community and the parents’ association, SJPA, is a key contributor to this. The committee is comprised of a group of parent volunteers – both men and women – who meet monthly to organise events and to allocate funds to school projects. Each member is able to remain on the committee for a maximum of four years and they attempt to ensure a broad representation of parent from across the school. New members are always welcome.
The SJPA hosts a variety of events for parents throughout the year. Highlights include the not-be-to-missed Christmas Market and a fabulous Christmas Ball. The winter blues are banished at the Curry & Quiz Night and the Summer Social is a relaxed and fun way to bring the year to an end in the company of fellow parents. Tickets sell out fast so please ensure you book early. The also run the second hand uniform shop that opens regularly throughout the term.
All the money raised by the SJPA is used to fund initiatives proposed by staff members on the sports field, in the classroom or around the school buildings. Each year, in October, the various departments within the School present proposals to the SJPA Committee outlining what they would like funds for. Projects that receive funding seek to benefit as wide and diverse a group of pupils as possible across the School. Recent examples have included:
- Virtual Reality headsets - £6,486
- Water Polo goals - £3073
- Community Holiday - £2000
- Sound system, projector and screen for the Dining Hall - £11,000
- A new Sound System for the Dining Hall - £9000
- Refurbish the Cricket Pavilion - £7500
- Books to help pupils consider choice of career - £300
- French Theatre Workshop and drama accessories - £500
- Costume storage facility for the Drama Department - £250
- Electronic microscopes for biology labs - £2967
We really hope you will enjoy participating in the SJPA events and being part of the St John’s School community.
To volunteer or find out more about the SJPA please contact:
Penny Horner-Long (Chair): email@example.com