We were delighted to welcome visitors to St John’s on Saturday 17 September 2022 for our Heritage Open Day events.
OJs from the 1960s and 1980s, parents of OJs, former members of staff, current parents and local residents were among those who enjoyed the opportunity to visit the School, hear a little about the origins and history of St John’s and see how far we have come since our arrival in Leatherhead 150 years ago.
Archive exhibitions on the first pupils at Leatherhead, the history of the Old Chapel, the history of rugby at St John’s (1875-1945) and the architect, Richard Rogers (Lord Rogers of Riverside) an Old Johnian, who died in December 2021, were also on display.
Richard Hughes, former head of history and author of ‘Those Things Which Are Above, the History of St John’s School’ gave an illuminating talk in the afternoon to mark the 150th anniversary of our arrival in Leatherhead. Entitled St John’s School’s Move to Leatherhead in 1872: How and Why? The talk covered the early and difficult years of the School during its various locations in London since its foundation in 1851 and why Leatherhead was chosen as a new location in 1872, where it has since grown and flourished.