A large proportion of the School’s archive material is now available for Johnians and Old Johnians to view digitally online. Users can access copies of the Johnian and OJ magazines, as well as photographs, slides and other records from the School’s history. Please note that for copyright reasons the Digital Archive is for personal and private use only.
The following material is currently available:
- The Johnian Magazine – the School magazine which has been produced each year since 1886;
- The Old Johnian – a specific alumni magazine which has been produced since 1966 by the OJ Society and latterly the School;
- house and team photographs (where held by the School);
- the War Memorial of 1918 – listing all OJs who served in the armed forces up to and including WWI;
- fixture lists from miscellaneous sporting matches between 1918 and 1972; and,
- the Coddington Slides – taken by Mr E Coddington, a master at St John’s between 1902 and 1938, showing a more informal side to the School.
Please contact the School Archivist, Sally Todd, for a username and password. There is no public access to this website. Instructions for how to use the Digital Archive can be downloaded below.
The Digital Archive has been made possible by a generous donation from the Willis family. Future development is dependent on further funding. If you have enjoyed using the Archive please consider supporting the project by making a donation.
War Memorial Website
A War Memorial website for St John’s School has been created to commemorate those who served in the First World War: http://stjohnsleatherheadatwar.co.uk
Accessible to all, with no user name or password required, the School hopes that this will be of interest to pupils, parents and staff alike. For those interested in the history of St John’s, as well as those studying or researching the First World War, this archive website gives a unique insight into life at St John’s during the period 1900-1920. Features of the War Memorial website include:
- Roll of Honour – holds information on OJs’ wartime service and death, together with dates they attended St John’s School and photographs where available;
- War Memorial 1918 – a slideshow of the 42 illuminated panels produced in 1918, detailing OJs and members of staff who served in all the armed forces in the years up to and including 1918;
- timeline of those who died with links to a biography where available;
- advanced search – enabling you to search across all sections of the website or select a particular database;
- The Johnian magazines, 1900 – 1920;
- distinctions – details of those who received distinctions for military service;
- interactive blog with comments section (moderated) about the history of St John’s School, Leatherhead in wartime and those Old Johnians who served in the First and Second World Wars; and,
- useful links to external sources of information and other websites.
Terms & Conditions
All website and Archive content is the copyright of St John’s School or its third party licensers. The website and the Archive are for your private, personal and non-commercial use only. Subject to what is said below you may view and print a single copy of the material on the website and the Archive for your own private, personal and non-commercial use only. You may not download or make any electronic copies of any of the material or store it in any medium (including on any other website) and you may not distribute, re-transmit, broadcast, modify or show in public any part of the website or the Archive without the prior written permission of St John’s. In addition, where it is indicated on the website or the Archive that the rights in a particular work belong to a third party you may not print any copies of that work without the prior written permission of the owner of the rights.